Monday, August 22, 2016

Food - It's a problem!

        You wouldn't think finding food would be an issue. However, going into a grocery store when you can't read and don't speak the language is something of a challenge. You buy off visuals because you really have no idea what the package says. You can only hope your eyes aren't deceiving you because you can't smell anything through a plastic wrapper. (Trust me I've tried) I've had some good luck and bad. Bought some tomato sauce to make spaghetti. It was tomato sauce (Jackpot!) that's the good news. Bad news it smelled and tasted like the stuff you find in a can of Spaghetti Os. We randomly picked out a bag of treats. They looked cinnamon sweet but ended up being some bizarre type of pork rind, I think. We all spit our bites out in the trash. We decided to tempt fate a picked out 4 things in the deli that we had no idea what they were. We each tried a bite. One was tempura shrimp, that was a Winner, Winner Shrimp Dinner. One was some type of tempura hard boiled egg. The eggs were so tiny I'm guessing maybe they were pheasant? Grasping at straws here. Another looked like a corn dog. It was basically a corn dog, but the sausage inside was a bit different. The last one was a squishy fried something. Lincoln took a huge bite. I thought he was going to hurl. LOL! I believe it was some sort of scallop creamy something deep fried. Next time we will give some others a go. Ever grateful for adventurous kids. 



Back to the grocery store. The fruit here is outrageously expensive. Not big city expensive but you need to be a sultan expensive. We found a 3rd of a pound of grapes for $12.80. An apple (yes one) for $2.98. Watermelon was $9.70 for a quarter slice. It's just crazy! I'm hoping to find a farmers market or something. Otherwise my kids will be pounding the gummy vitamins to get what vitamins they lack in their diets. Don't get me started on meat. <Shiver> I'm pretty sure we are going to starve here because this coupon clipping, sales watching girl can't swallow full price food. Do you see the box of Frosted Flakes in my basket. $4.75 for a small box. Dying a very slow full price death as we speak. 

On a bright note Payton has found her all time favorite drink. Green Lemonade. Who knew it was her favorite? Not I, but there is only one vending machine that carries her favorite brew and we have been known to make a special trip to just to see this smile. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sam, Having lived in Japan for 3.5 years I thought I'd check out your blog and comment. We were there in the 70's, up in Misawa. Are there any American bases nearby where you can get someone to pick up some American food for you? I would have starved, and so would have Tim if I only had Japanese food available. I still remember the smells and weird stuff they had. Be careful in restaurants! Do they still display plastic food? I had some soba at a soba house once that looked like it had nice chicken strips on top. Took a huge bite, it was like a piece of rubber. Glad to hear your kids are adventurous! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet. I'll ask around. I'll figure the food out. I hear there is a Costco out by the airport and I found a grocery yesterday that was a Walmart affiliate. Still expensive but more doable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that green lemonade smile!

    ReplyDelete