Wednesday, September 14, 2016

IKEA: The Better Way

So the other day we took the whole family to IKEA. Don't know what we were thinking, clearly we weren't. One it's an hour "ish" away. Just like Costco it takes trains AND buses to get there. Then we went on a Saturday. Once again not thinking things through. It was a MAD HOUSE!!! There was no room to walk. I have never had a problem with crowds (or "people traffic" as my daughter call them) before but this one made me claustrophobic. Not to mention with the not so wonderful help of Google maps it took us an extra 30 minutes of traveling to get there, most of which was walking around looking for a bus stop. Then my husband had the grand idea to just go home and order everything online and have it delivered. "Well worth the money," he said. We dutifully snapped pictures of all our wants and needs. Guess what, you can't order online and have stuff delivered. You can order from the store, in person, and have it delivered but that's it. Soooo...I made the trip by myself a few days later.

I did a bit of research before I left. First there is an IKEA shuttle. We saw them when we went as a family as we were disembarking from a 15 stop public bus ride. (This is how we roll.) I found the schedule. Here it is in case you are ever in town. It still takes 20 mintes from the train station but there are no stops. Much better. My second bit of advice is to suggest you go during the week. It was a much better experience and I didn't have to crawl over people to get to the shelves.

    Why would you venture back to the craziness of IKEA you ask? Well here's the thing, I have an organizational disorder. I have to have organization every where. If there is a container for something I have to have one. Did you know they have special containers for storing rice here. I'll be getting one only because they're available. I have an individual shoe container for every pair of shoes in my closet. Boxes for crayons, markers, pencils and scissors. I have containers to hold my currenlty unused containers, although it's never very full. Container Store is my Mecca. If they ever brought one to Tokyo I promise I would keep them in business. Long story short, IKEA was my next best option. Unfortunately, I once again went a little crazy with my purchasing, forgetting I had to lug it all back by myself. I did come semi-prepared. So after I enjoyed my 125 yen hotdog I made my way home with my loot. I'm sure this will be the first of many trips. 


No comments:

Post a Comment